Monday 31 May 2010

Cherries for charity - 2nd edition

I have just returned from a long weekend in Portugal. Similar to last year, I went to my uncle’s cherry farm to pick (and eat) some cherries. This year I could not stay for long since I had other things to do a many friends and family that I wanted to visit. I still managed to stay there for 24 hours and pick around 70kg of cherries (yes I am a fairly good picker). Like last year, I brought with me a suitcase full of cherries, which I have sold to colleagues and friends for charity. The money raised – £80 – has been donated to Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, which also benefited last year receiving half of the money raised in 2009. This year my uncle suggested this charity to be the beneficiary because the grandson of one of his good friends was diagnosed with leukaemia. On behalf of the charity, thank you to all who have bought the cherries, as well my uncle Manuel Antunes Rodrigues (aka Necas) who kindly donated them.

Picking cherries

My uncle Necas looking at the cherries he was taking to the market

The boot of the car full of cherries - Some of these were to be 'exported' to the UK - all for a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment