Sunday 18 April 2010

Carnabeirão

I am a keen fan of Axe-Music (originates from Salvador – Bahia), which is one of the many music genres originating from Brazil. The success of Salvador Carnival (the largest street carnival in the world), which celebrates Axé Music, has led to the development of dozens (if not hundreds) of smaller scale events all year round. The one I attended takes place in Ribeirão Preto, 300km west of São Paulo city. Actually, I starting to write this entry by the swimming pool at the top floor of the hotel, which boosts a nice view over the city, though the city itself is nothing to die for… (PS. As I write this, two black weird looking birds land in the terrace to drink water from the swimming pool). This is not the first time I attend this carnival – I’ve done it in 2008.

.

I have met many interesting people and yesterday I've also met some friends that I did in 2008. Some of them I did not even know they were coming this year too. Neither did they know that I was coming, so it was a big (and good) surprise for both of us. The weather is very good, it is 3pm the sun is shining and the temperature is around 30ºC. The evenings are a bit cold though, with the temperature going to the mid teens. I am looking forward to the second show by Chiclete com Banana, my favourite Axe-Music band. Yesterday’s was quite good, but I think tonight one is going to be even better as it is the last night of the event.



With Renato, who was dressed as a cow. Renato is the 'clown' who keeps everyone laughing throughout. The sign is saying 'another cow in the event'.


Very close to Bell Marques, the legendary singer from Chiclete com Banana

.

In the middle of the crowd I met Carol, a friend from São Paulo I've made at Carnabeirão 2008

UPDATE: The second show was really good. After playing for 4h30m yesterday, Chiclete com Banana performed for more than 4 hours again. The atmosphere was amazing, with everyone singing and interacting.

The Carnabeirão 2010 crowd arriving for the last day of the event


With Tim, one of the organisers of the tour


Again, very close to the 'Trio' (Truck), where the band plays



Surprise, surprise! With Bebel and Estela, two girls who I met in the 2008 event


Two of the new friends I've made this year
.

On Saturday lunch was at a 'Xácara' (or farmhouse) a few kilometers away from Ribeirão Preto Town Centre. The lunch was a Churrasco (or Barbecue), with grilled meat and salads served. Alcohol consumption was included in the price - the fruit cocktails were delicious, but one needs to be careful as the portions are very generious... There was a DJ playing national and international hits and mid afternoon there was a fantastic funk performance (another genre of music, originating from Rio de Janeiro's favelas). The MC was brilliant. At the beginning I though it was a CD playing, and to my surprise the guy was singing live! Very, very interactive, with the MC singing most of the famous funk songs. Needless to say, people did get in to singing along. I've made a couple of videos and will try to post them on youtube when I am back in the UK.

The 'galera' on our way to the BBQ

.

"Tenha fé no azul que está no frevo..." dancing ‘cavalo mambembe’ song. Basically two of more people give hands and move the waist up and down. It is very traditional in Micaretas. Chiclete also sang this song both days.

And that was it, on Monday the 12th very early in the morning I flew to Niteroi in Rio de Janeiro state, to attend the Community-based Tourism Conference and deliver another guest lecture at Fluminense Federal University. I will post about Niteroi in the next entry

No comments:

Post a Comment